CRAFT BEER FACTS
• Craft brewers currently provide an estimated 103,585 jobs in the U.S., including serving staff in brewpubs.
• Growth of the craft brewing industry in 2011 was 13% by volume and 15% by dollars compared to growth in 2010 of 12% by volume and 15% by dollars.
• Craft brewers sold an estimated 11,468,152 barrels* of beer in 2011, up from 10,133,571 in 2010.
• The craft brewing sales share in 2011 was 5.7% by volume and 9.1% by dollars.
• Craft brewer retail dollar value in 2011 was an estimated $8.7 billion, up from $7.6 billion in 2010.
• As of March 26, 2012, the Brewers Association is aware of 250 brewery openings in 2011 (174 microbreweries and 76 brewpubs) and 37 brewery closings (12 microbreweries and 25 brewpubs).
• 1,940 craft breweries operated for some or all of 2011, comprised of 1,063 brewpubs, 789 microbreweries and 88 regional craft breweries.
OTHER U.S. BREWING INDUSTRY FACTS
• Overall U.S. beer sales were down an estimated 1.3% by volume in 2011, 1.2% in 2010.
• Imported beer sales were up 1% in 2011 and up 5% in 2010.
• Overall U.S. beer sales were approximately 199,937,239 barrels and imported beer sales were 27,238,339 barrels in 2010.
• 1,989 total breweries operated for some or all of 2011, the highest total since the 1880s
BEER FUN FACTS
• One of George Washington's first acts as Commander of the Continental Army was to insist that every one of his troops would receive a quart of beer with his daily rations.
• The oldest known written recipe is for beer.
• The current craft beer 'craze' can be traced to the opening of the Anchor Steam Brewery in San Francisco in 1971.
• According to the Brewers Association, as of 2009, there were nearly 1,600 domestic breweries in the US - the most since before Prohibition.
• To keep your beer glass or mug from sticking to your bar napkin, sprinkle a little salt on the napkin before you set your glass down.
• The original Coors Brewery, opened in 1872 in Golden, CO, is the largest brewing facility in the world.
• In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any coommercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned by his/her own libation.
• According to a diary entry from a passenger on the Mayflower, the pilgrims made their landing at Plymouth Rock, rather than cntinue to their destination in Virgnia, due to lack of beer.
• Harvard's first schoolmaster was 'dismissed' in disgrace for failing to supply the students with enough beer.
• In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them to mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase"mind your P's and Q's".
• Prohibition, which lasted from 1920 to 1933, was the only amendment to the Constitution that was later repealed.
• Despite the month implied by its name, Munich's annual 16-day Oktoberfest actually begins in mid-September and ends on the first Sunday in October.
Click Here for our beer glossary
Famous Beer Quotes
Here's a list of some beer quotes from around the world – I hope you enjoy!
• The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind
- Humphrey Bogart
• Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
- Ernest Hemingway
• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin
• He is a wise man who invented beer.
• I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
• Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
- Kaiser Wilhelm
• I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.
- Homer Simpson
• Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Berry
• 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
- Stephen Wright
• Everybody has to believe in something…..I believe I'll have another drink.
- W.C. Fields
• May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.
- Irish Toast
• You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
- Frank Zappa
• I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.
- Abraham Lincoln
• An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
- Earnest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls
• Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.
- Winston Churchill
• Ah, beer. The cause of and the solution to all of life's problems.
- Homer Simpson
• Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer.
- Henry Lawson
• I would give all my fame for a pot of ale and safety.
- Shakespeare, Henry V
• God made yeast, as well as dough, and loves fermentation just as dearly as he loves vegetation.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson